AECOM retains the services of a select group of subcontractors that share the company’s deep commitment to safety, health, and environmental protection.
Our Certified Quality Management System, in addition to providing a preferred suppliers list, offers guidance on subcontractor selection and management, contractual terms, performance auditing, and in-house contractor training. Significant tasks are competitively tendered to maintain cost-control discipline and all adopted rates are benchmarked with AECOM’s wider industry experience.
In addition, subcontracts are not approved until appropriate insurance policies are in place to protect the interests of owners, end users and AECOM. AECOM sets up annual contracts with selected subcontractors and secures updated certificates of insurance annually.
Important factors in AECOM’s selection and management of subcontractors include:
- Formal review of the subcontractor’s in-house safety procedures and records, with particular attention to specific health and safety training.
- Field audits of health and safety competency undertaken by AECOM’s site representatives, as well as spot audits by senior AECOM employees. Records of audits are maintained and observations are shared with AECOM employees and subcontractor principals.
- Conducting incident investigations to determine root and contributing causes.
- Distributing lessons learned from near misses and other incidents to subcontractors.
- Minimizing subcontractor staff changes through the duration of work to maximize individual knowledge of site-specific conditions and requirements.
- Subcontractors are expected to complete all required training prior to beginning work, including participating in orientation, site-specific training and project-specific training, as well as completing a task hazard analysis form.