Indianapolis is a city experiencing rapid growth, new tourism and a boom in conventions and events. When the Indianapolis Airport Authority saw this transformation taking place, they knew it was time for Indianapolis to have an airport designed to set the standard for airport experiences around the nation. AECOM Hunt understood this as well and, as part of a joint venture, teamed up with the Airport Authority to deliver a new landmark to Indianapolis – The Col. H. Weir Cook Terminal at Indianapolis International Airport.
After years of planning and adjustments for new security requirements, the new 1,275,000-square-foot terminal features two concourses, 40 gates, and a grand main lobby area full of retail and restaurant space. Designed for a streamlined travel experience, the airport has been named The Best Airport in North America by Airports Council International four times.
The airport also includes a new air traffic control tower and administration building completed prior to the new terminal. Both the tower and new terminal presented the challenge of working between active runways and meeting FAA requirements for airport access and crane usage. By utilizing land already owned by the Airport Authority and implementing numerous energy saving features, the airport achieved LEED Certified status by the US Green Building Council.
The new airport serves as the gateway to all of Indianapolis’ exciting new venues. New events and visitors create more jobs and more businesses and the airport is designed to expand so, as Indianapolis grows, so may the Col. H. Weir Cook Terminal.
Awards and recognition
- Excellence in Equal Opportunity Award
- Indianapolis Department of Labor Safety Award
- Metro Indy Coalition for Construction Safety, Safety Project of the Year
- Midwest Construction’s Best of Green Building Award of Merit
- Midwest Construction’s Best of Outstanding Engineering Function & Aesthetics
- McGraw-Hill Construction Best of the Best, Engineering Design
- A Monumental Affair Awards for Excellence – Monumental Award
- Voted #1 Best in Nation by JD Power and Associates
- Best Regional Airport in North America by Airports Council International
- Best Airport in North America by Airports Council International
“Based on my 25 years of experience and visits to some of the world’s best airports, I believe we have an outstanding asset whose infrastructure will serve the flying public well for several generations.”
John D. Clark, III, Executive Director & CEO, Indianapolis Airport Authority