AECOM Hunt, in a joint venture, served as construction manager/design assist for Marlins Park, home of Major League Baseball’s Miami Marlins. This 937,000-square-foot, 37,000-seat, three-panel retractable roof baseball stadium contains 42 luxury suites, eight party suites, home-run porch, state-of-the-art concessions, restroom amenities and the Western Plaza designed for year-round use.
Marlins Park’s operable roof system features three-panels and is composed of 11,000 pieces of steel and 44 transporters, weighing approximately 8,000 tons. When closed, the roof protects the spectators and players from the sun and rain. When open, the roof provides shade to the areas over the grand plaza and the entertainment entry district and transforms the stadium into an open-air ball park.
The left field operable wall is a unique feature, comprised of six hurricane-proof glass wall panels, towering at 60 feet tall by 40 feet wide. It opens to create a 240-foot view of Miami’s spectacular downtown skyline. The operable wall also has the ability to operate independently from the operable roof.
Awards and recognition
- 2009 AZAGC Safety Awards for Specialty Building 100,000-300,000 Man Hours Worked
- 2010 Sunshine Safety Award
- 2011 Tekla North America BIM Award
- 2012 ENR Project of the Year – Sports/Entertainment Category, Southeast Region
- 2012 Mega-Projects (More than $200 million) Eagle Award
- 2012 America’s Top 7 Energy-Efficient Baseball Stadiums (Ranked #1)
- 2012 Engineering News Report Southeast Sports & Entertainment Best Project
- 2012 Engineering News Report Southeast Overall Project of the Year
- 2012 Urban Land Institute Vision Awards Finalist