Sentinel Data Centers needed to convert their existing 220,000-square-foot warehouse into a multi-tenant Tier 3 data center facility. AECOM worked with Sentinel throughout 2011 and 2012, providing construction management services over a three-phase delivery. When Sentinel decided to pursue LEED Gold certification for the project, AECOM helped them to meet their sustainability targets.
Phase I: Four 10,000-square-foot data pods
- Construction of expanded infrastructure, including a new 69 kilovolts substation, outdoor modular chiller plants, four 2,500 kilowatts emergency generators, three UPS (uninterruptible power supply) systems, and associated switchgear.
- Two 25,000 gallon underground fuel oil tanks and associated fuel oil piping to tie into the generators.
- Pod cooling provided by 32 Liebert 50-ton CRAC (Computer room air conditioning) units and UPS rooms serviced by three 30‑ton CRAC units.
- Build-out of 10,000-square-foot of office space and storage
Phase II additions:
- Four generators
- Two outdoor modular chiller plants
- Three UPS systems
- Five 10,000-square-foot data pods
- 32 50-ton CRAC units
- Two 25,000-gallon fuel oil tanks
- Nine 30-ton CRAC’s for UPS room cooling
Phase III: Construction of an 86,000-square-foot expansion with four generators, five 10,000-square-foot data pods, two UPS systems, 32 50-ton CRAC units and six 30-ton CRACs
- Modular chiller plant
- Eight pre-action zones to protect all data halls, corridors, UPS rooms and generator rooms
- Sprinkler system to cover office areas