An emerging clean-technology cluster, Masdar City in Abu Dhabi is set to become one of the greenest places in the world. AECOM was selected to provide a range of services including an optimized, sustainable design and low-carbon construction for the new Siemens Headquarters located within the city.
Our integrated team of experts designed an external shading system using air-tight construction and low-carbon materials to ensure that the building’s envelope met the client’s high performance goals regarding wind resistance, day-lighting and water tightness.
The building was constructed using high recycled content concrete, an inexpensive, strong and versatile material, which increased resistance to harsh chemicals such as chlorine present in Masdar’s environment.
Despite facing the challenge of working under a tight schedule and strict building specification targets and guidelines, our team was able to deliver a low carbon building that achieved a LEED Core and Shell Platinum certification and met all Masdar’s sustainability key performance indicators. This project will enable Masdar City to become a sustainable, smart city.
- First building in the United Arab Emirates certified Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED V3.0) Core and Shell Platinum
- 98% construction waste diversion from landfill
- 50% reduction in water demand (EPA Baseline)
- 46% reduction in energy demand (ASHRAE 90.1_2007 Baseline)
- 30% reduction in embodied carbon (over Masdar Baseline)
- MIPIM Architectural Review Future Projects Awards 2012 (in the Offices category)
- Middle East Architects Awards 2012 Sustainable Project of the Year
- Middle East Architects Awards 2012 Commercial Project of the Year
- International Property Awards Arabia 2012, best office architecture 2012 award
- MEED Quality Awards for Projects 2013, U.A.E. Sustainable Project of the Year
- MEED Quality Awards for Projects 2013, GCC Sustainable Project of the Year
- Cityscape Global Awards for Emerging Markets 2013 Sustainable Development – Built
- Iconic Award for Corporate Architecture 2013 by the German Design Council.