AECOM provided mechanical and electrical engineering services for the design and construction of Manitoba Hydro’s new 700,000-square-foot, 23-story headquarters office tower in downtown Winnipeg. The new facility houses approximately 2,150 personnel and hosts the main data center and power trading facility.
The new, green office building is a state-of-the-art, world class, “cold climate” sustainable and energy-efficient building. It has targeted energy savings of 60 percent and complies with the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Platinum level and Natural Resource Canada’s C-2000 Program standards.
AECOM’s services included fire protection, plumbing and heating, and uninterruptible power system design. The mechanical systems included radiant heating and cooling, displacement ventilation, natural ventilation, and a high-efficiency central heating and cooling plant with a geothermal component. The building is heated and cooled with radiant slabs (hydronic tubes embedded in the concrete), and its displacement ventilation system supplies the office space with 100 percent fresh air (unlike a conventional building where air is recirculated).
- Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat – Best Building Americas Award
- Engineers Canada – National Project Achievement Award
- Canadian Consulting Engineering – Award of Excellence
- Association of Consulting Engineering Companies – Manitoba (Consulting Engineers of Manitoba) – Keystone Award and Award of Excellence
- Consulting Engineers of Alberta – Award of Excellence Sustainable Design