High Speed Two (HS2) is a new high-speed railway, essential for achieving net zero carbon emissions targets in the UK, that connects the Midlands with the North and tackles the capacity shortfall on the existing rail and road network.
It is one of the most challenging and exciting infrastructure projects in Europe – the vision is to build more than just a railway and create a legacy for the UK for generations to come.
AECOM is and will continue to align our global capability and capacity to support HS2 in delivering Europe’s largest infrastructure project.
Leveraging our global experience of delivering high speed rail projects, AECOM has been working across the route-wide programme since 2010.
On Phase 1 – the section of the route between London and the West Midlands – we have delivered:
- Environmental impact assessments, preliminary design and scheme development services as part of the deposit of the hybrid Bill, as well as value engineering solutions
- Assured the full Phase 1 baseline costs and programme as an essential component of the project receiving the UK Government’s official Notice to Proceed
- Interdisciplinary ecological, environmental and engineering surveys, investigation and design on the Enabling Works North, Central and Southern sections
- Design and management of the full decommissioning of the Old Oak Common Depot as part of the handover to HS2
- Concept design for the Old Oak Common Station and remodelling of the Euston and Old Oak Common sections
- Construction monitoring across the Main Works Civils Contract Area North
On Phase 2 – the section of the route between Crewe and Manchester, and Birmingham to Leeds – we have delivered:
- Feasibility design for the Birmingham to Glasgow section
- As the primary Civils Design and Environmental Services Delivery Partner for Phase 2b Lot 2 (Birmingham to Sheffield section), we delivered the feasibility, concept and route development as well as the Environmental Statement
- We have taken forward the development of the Phase 2b route in preparation for the submission of the hybrid Bill and provided input into the National Infrastructure Commission Integrated Rail Plan
- Client-side lead for delivering and managing public consultations and stakeholder engagement
- Written the Skills Education and Employment and the Training and Skills strategies for HS2
- Independently verified carbon footprint calculations
- Strategic advisory services as subject matter experts for efficiency reviews
- Cost intelligence and cost assurance across Phase 1 and Phase 2