Cities have never been more important, nor the competition among them more intense. Those positioned to excel in this time of incredible challenges will emerge stronger by pursuing broad, holistic infrastructure solutions that address inequities, unlock hidden value, attract people and investment, and overcome financial and operational challenges.
At AECOM, we offer both the depth of insight and breadth of expertise required to thrive in these conditions.
- New York State Environmental Bond Act Study: Partnering with Rebuild by Design, we analyzed the benefits of a $3 billion environmental bond act to stimulate New York’s economy and strengthen the state’s green infrastructure through job creation and project investments.
- Business Case for Resilience in Southeast Florida: Working with a multi-county, bilateral committee, we teamed with ULI to evaluate the benefits of investments in building and community climate change adaptation and the economic development and job-generative potential of investing in resilient climate resilience infrastructure.
- San Francisco Bay Area Transit Recovery Scenario Planning Tool: Developed modelling tools that show how prioritizing equity in transit recovery investment can enhance transportation efficacy across the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Chicago New Energy STEM and Job Training Program: Partnered with the Chicago School District City Colleges to design education and job training potential across Chicago that will provide the qualified labor pool to deliver new energy programs.
- FEMA Building Codes Saves Program: Analyzed the jobs creation potential and economic savings of adopting proactive advanced building codes.
- Guide to Joint Development of Public Transportation Agencies: Produced this Transportation Research Board guide on joint development, a subset of transit-oriented development in which transit agencies are direct participants.
- Oakland County, Michigan: Developed equity metrics for the disbursement of the current Americas Relief Plan to ensure that they create the most impact in vulnerable communities.
- City of Baltimore Equity-Based Project Prioritization Tool: Improve visibility and impact of equity in decision making, make equity considerations more comprehensive, and improve equity analysis and insights.
- Climate Action Plans (CAPs): Experience includes CAPs for the cities listed below
California Regional/County CAPs
- Alameda County
- San Diego County
- Santa Clara County (6 cities)
- Shasta County (3 cities)
- Solano County (4 cities)
- Western Riverside County (17 cities)
- Yolo County
- Yuba County
Non-California City CAPs
- Baltimore, MD
- Dallas, TX
- Lee’s Summit, MO
- Miami, FL
- Miami Beach, FL
- Montgomery County, MD
- Somerville, MA
- Volusia County, FL
Global Citywide GHG Analysis and Planning, or sector-specific support
- Bogotá, Colombia
- Chicago, IL
- Delaware, DE
- Los Angeles, CA
- Medellín, Colombia
- Mexico City, Mexico
- New York City, NY
- O’ahu, HI
- Quito, Ecuador
- Seattle, WA
- Green Economy Analysis for City of Miami as part of the GHG Mitigation Plan – Evaluating the underlying economic outcomes from the transition to a green economy and the impact on the workforce.
- Texas Gulf Coast Economic Diversification and Recovery Plan: Supporting the nine counties around Corpus Christi on Texas’ Gulf Coast to better prepare for future risks and diversify their economy to be more resilient to major shocks
- Resilient Sydney Strategy: This strategy integrated resilience and disaster preparedness into city-wide planning and investment to address the shocks and stresses of the 21st century driven by climate change, globalization and urbanization.
- Transport for New South Wales Rapid Bus Service Business Case: Delivering public transport network planning, infrastructure design and transport modelling technical inputs to inform the development of a final business Case for the rapid bus services in Western Sydney, in line with Western Sydney City Deal commitments and the vision outlined in Future Transport 2056.
- Western Sydney Regional Organization of Councils Urban Heat Strategy for Western Sydney: The Turn Down the Heat Action Plan outlined the key initiatives being delivered across Western Sydney to reduce urban heat impacts and develop a strategy with practical and effective actions to address urban heat across the region.
- Killara Station Upgrade Digital Solution: Using our Environment Engagement digital solution, partnered with Transport for NSW to improve information accessibility through the creation of a fully customized and interactive online platform for the Review of Environmental Factors (REF) for the proposed Killara Station Upgrade. The inclusion of interactive maps, imagery, audio-video content, engaging ‘click-to-explore’ features and more, allow for an improved, user-friendly experience for the community to access the technical information provided in the REF.
- UK Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy – City Heat Decarbonisation Delivery Programme: This programme is helping the local authorities and asset owners in six of the UK’s largest cities and city regions of Birmingham, Bristol Leeds, Newcastle, Nottingham and Manchester to define innovative decarbonisation delivery plans for heat in the built environment.
- Greater Manchester Heat Decarbonization: As a deep dive to this work for BEIS, working with the Greater Manchester Combined Authority to deliver heat decarbonisation across the city region. The first stage of work identified retrofit and fuel-switching opportunities in social housing, schools and Local Authority estate as well as strategic district heating networks to help the region achieve net zero carbon by 2038. The second stage involves developing Outline Business Cases for each sector to enable delivery of the projects which have the potential for the best outcomes.
- Justifying Infrastructure Investment for Social Equity and Social Value: Thamesmead & Beckton Riverside Public Transport Programme will deliver an extension of the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) from Gallions Reach crossing the River Thames to transform accessibility to Beckton Riverside and Thamesmead in East London. AECOM were commissioned by TfL and its partners to strengthen the emerging Strategic Outline Business Case (SOBC) to unlock additional housing which could be unlocked by the scheme and developing a wider narrative that describes the economic, regeneration and social benefits for potential public and private sector funders.
- Delivering the UK Government’s recovery and ‘Levelling Up’ stimulus programme: Supporting the regeneration and growth of town centres hit by the collapse of retail and visitor economies. Through the Future High Street Fund (FHSF) and Town Investment Plans across London and the city region as well as towns in the English ‘Northern Powerhouse’. Business Case development has successfully made the case for public investment funds which transform town centres supporting mixed-use developments, transport and community interventions.
- European Bank of Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) Green Cities Program – Supported five cities to develop Green City Action Plans (GCAPs) (Izmir, Turkey: Varna, Bulgaria: Dushanbe, Tajikistan: Batumi, Georgia: and Amman, Jordan), and is sole supplier on EBRD’s Green Finance Roadmap framework, which supports cities that have completed GCAPs develop a strategy for accessing green and alterative finances to deliver GCAP actions.
- Commissioned through individual assignments to co-develop a joint publication of Asian Development Bank (ADB), African Development Bank (AfDB), European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), and Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) on “Creating Liveable Cities”.