The $11 billion Metro Tunnel Project will create a new end-to-end rail line from Sunbury in Melbourne’s north-west to Cranbourne/Pakenham in the south-east. The Metro Tunnel will create capacity to enable more than half a million more passengers per week to use Melbourne’s train network during peak periods.
The project scope includes:
- Twin nine-kilometre rail tunnels from the north-west of the city to the south-east as part of a new Sunbury to Cranbourne/Pakenham line
- Five new underground stations
- High capacity signalling to maximise the efficiency of the new fleet of High Capacity Metro Trains, and
- Convenient train / tram interchange at several new stations.
AECOM has been engaged as the Independent Reviewer (IR) for the Metro Tunnel – Tunnel and Stations Public Private Partnership (PPP), a role critical to the successful delivery of the Metro Tunnel Project.
The team of approximately 60 people, supported by a strong project controls team, provide certification and monitoring services including:
- Reviewing design packages to assess compliance with the Project Scope and Technical Requirements and Project Agreement
- Monitoring and reporting to the Victorian Government regarding the progress of the works
- Attending and certifying tests
- Undertaking field surveillance works
- Certifying the achievement of project milestones, and
- Reviewing management plans and design and construction programs.
This scope also involves certification of Critical Interface Milestones between all of the Metro Tunnel Project works packages.
Many disciplines have been involved in the review of designs for this large and complex project. AECOM has successfully co-ordinated the review and certification of over 400 permanent works design packages, and a large number of temporary works packages, spanning every relevant design discipline.
AECOM has assembled a world-class team with experience of similar underground tunnel and metro projects that have been carried out in cities including Hong Kong, New York, London, Toronto and Qatar.