Liu Chuan is an urban aqueduct that runs through highly-populated areas in Taichung City. Over the years, its water quality has deteriorated due to the contamination of sewage discharge.
The concrete embankment design has also affected the natural beauty of the surrounding area. This led to the Taichung City Government and the Executive Yuan’s joint effort to improve the water quality and river environment of Liu Chuan. The project scope includes water interception and on-site treatment designs to improve water quality over a short period of time, as well as landscape re-planning to improve the river environment.
The expected project outcomes include:
- Completion of biological contact oxidation process design with a capacity of 10,000 CMD(Cubic Meter per Day ) and denitrification process in addition to BOD(Biochemical Oxygen Demand), SS(Suspended Solids) and Ammoniacal-Nitrogen(NH3-N) removal
- Completion of water interception systems design at two locations with consideration of maximum contaminant load removal rate
- Restoration of river environment quality and water treatment system planning
- Completion of river remediation and environmental improvement planning
In addition to water quality control, AECOM assisted the Taichung City Government in improving its river environment and flood safety by incorporating Low Impact Development (LID) design and channel construction works, respectively.
The project incorporated several LID methods including underground detention tanks, rain gardens, infiltration trenches and permeable pavement. LID designs enable infiltration of surface runoff and improve water conservation of the soil. Further, the revetments were retreated by 8 meters on each side of the channel and replaced by flat-sloped types. The construction increased the channel capacity, and improved flood safety.
The rehabilitation of Liu Chuan has restored its aquatic ecosystem and allowed it to become a new attraction for visitors nationwide. The project has received recognition from government officials and residents and been honored with the Public Construction Golden Quality Award.
- 10th Taiwan Landscape Awards
- Public Building Landscape, Yuan Ye Awards 2022
- Taichung City Government Public Construction Awards 2021
- FIABCI-Taiwan Real Estate Excellence Awards 2017
- Public Construction Golden Quality Awards 2016